Thursday, July 06, 2006

Adventure, part 2

Hey friends, Romans, and countrymen.

Lend me your eyes.

No, seriously. Today's posting is fun to look at. Finally, a combination of time and a non-procrastinative mood have led me to post the second half of my adventure. (I'm going to pretend that "procrastinative" is a word. It's a part of my blog strategery.)

As I left you last time, I had just explored Chinatown and Little Italy. After that, I took a train uptown. Here's a map for the second part of my journey.


The red line shows the path of the subway I took from downtown to south Central Park. From there, my photo essay begins in earnest. The blue line is my path on foot around the park, and the yellow line, my trip home. Because of the number of pictures today, I've presented them in smaller thumbnail files. However, click on any of these pictures for a large view. I haven't altered any photo for size, so please enjoy them.


Here we are in Columbus Square, on the southwest corner of Central Park. After exiting the train up from Chinatown. There's a large number of media buildings up here.


Newsweek, CNN, basically all of Time-Warner's holdings... It's a pretty busy place.

Basically, from 30th Street to 60th Street, the city is very built up. To give you a perspective, I work at 34th Street where the buildings start to get taller north of Greenwich Village (my neighborhood). Here, next to central park, it's still very corporate and built up, but it becomes more residential as well. Manhattan's high-priced apartments are here. The average price paid for an apartment in the upper-west/east side apartments is well into the millions.


Anyway, back to Columbus Square. It's a gorgeous little corporate park with a very Trafalgar-like column at center. The podium pillar was presented to the city by Spanish-American citizens.





From here, I made my way into the park. It was raining that day, and so the pictures turned out beautifully. That extra bit of gray in the sky, and green on the folliage make things so beautiful.


You've all seen the Central Park carriages in movies, but they make for good subject matter.


I found a gross pidgeon taking a mud bath. He was enjoying it so much that I was able to get this close to take a picture of the oblivious little aerial rat.



I found this small stone bridge that made for some amazing photographs in the rain. Please click on these, and take a good look at them.








I came upon this small lake that in the wind and rain, had turned a very bright, saturated green color. There were artists, tourists, picnics, and turtles enjoying the scene...







After leaving the lake, I took a right turn into a very dense, vegitated trail. A sign, almost completely obscured by ivy said that the path was called "The Ramble". Sounded good to me.



At the end of the path was this "castle" observatory overlooking Turtle Pond and the Great Lawn.





After exiting the park, I stopped to snap a picture of the natural history museum and a hefty-looking Teddy Roosevelt.



That's all for now. More from work coming up!
Free Counters
Online Degree