Sunday, May 21, 2006

I'm here!

It's only 8:50 PM eastern time, and I'm wiped out, I'm afraid. Yet, I'm finally here in the City. My shuttle driver from Newark International Airport to Manhattan was absolutely insane. He missed five turns. That's not an exaggeration, either. He actually got tired of realizing he was missing turns, and just plowed over a highway island to correct himself 100 ft. too late. Also, he attempted to go IN REVERSE on a missed turn ramp. Traffic behind him got upset, and after the dust had settled our driver showed us an ice pick that he keeps in his door in case he needs to kill someone. He went on to explain how the cops would never find him, and how the dynamics of the ice pick would make all the bleeding internal.

Welcome to Newark.

Finally, I made it to the dorm, and moved my stuff upstairs. I'm on the fourth floor, but I can still feel the subway shaking everything sixty some feet below. The room is alright. It looks like a dorm, but I moved all my stuff in, plugged my phone in, and it feels better now. I've posted some pictures below to give you a feel.

On a run to a drug store down the block, some other students were shopping for the same items I am. They asked if I was at Brittany Hall, and I said I was. So, we spent the next half hour walking through K-Mart (a Manhattan version with three floors, and a subway entrance underneath), and a drugstore. We went in on an ironing board. I suggested that since no one wanted to buy a board that we couldn't take home, we should all pitch in two dollars and share it. That way, we wouldn't care to leave it behind. So, the 3 foot-long, communal ironing board is here.

After that, I grabbed a cheap sandwich (first thing I'd eaten in 14 hours), and sat down with the group to watch a little TV. I announced that I needed to take my contacts out, so I came here. So, Hi! I miss you.

Make sure and read all my posts from today if you're just checking in. I've posted thrice today, so it'd be easy to miss my earlier posts. I'll have more on the "culture shock" of Manhattan tomorrow.

Goodnight!
Free Counters
Online Degree