Thursday, July 13, 2006

Another busy day...

(Pre-script: If you haven't read the entry following this one, please make sure and catch yourself up. I've updated twice in these two days, so if you only check the blog a couple times a week, there's more below you haven't read)

Another busy day at WABC... The mini war between Israel and Lebanon made for a packed news day today. Oil's soaring, Valerie Plame is suing, and US/French relations were souring...

I stayed a little late in the office today, pouring over six news sources/engines at the same time. Being a part of the machine that runs a talk show with 517 affiliates is really, really exciting on a day like today.

I had a good talk with James as well today. He's an extremely personable person, very intense, analytical, and genuinely nice. I think having the interns around to assemble, highlight and comment on news copy helps him out a lot as well, so he was kind enough to buy me lunch today. Thanks, James!

Those of you who know me well know that I love to insert humor into anything that I can... A few weeks ago, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was taking hundred-point losses day after day. Each day, the news analysts would have some reason for the Dow tanking. On a Tuesday, they'd say that the Dow fell because of rising oil prices... Wednesday, they'd say that the Dow fell because of FALLING oil prices.

I came to the quick realization that there's a distinct and complex system that market analysts use for determining why the markets rise or fall...

They make it up on the spot.

Yep, I'm nearly certain of it. Oil is a fun and convenient commodity to blame when making up your response. However, it's a tad cliched, and the more dashing newsman will, of course, come up with something more exciting to pin market movement on.

Considering myself to be just dashing enough a newsman to come up with something fun, I gave it a go. I announced to Bruce Anderson (an elderly gentleman, and veteran news reporter) that the market dropped 25 points on news of a new Hillary Clinton pantsuit. The next day, I said that it had gained 63 points when my left kneecap's third quarter profits were higher than analysts had expected.

Fun times, but now I'm expected nearly daily to come up with the impetus for dramatic market change.

Today was "Magic beans". I announced to those who asked that this mideast business, or oil prices had nothing to do with a bad market day. Ireland's harvest of magic beans was decided by a local cereal-toting leprachaun to be "magically delicious".

The other intern, Jeff, printed me out directions to The Onion's headquarters here in NYC, and told me to take a job with them.

Okay, that's all for today. I'm tired, and after checking up with Mr. Matt Drudge just now, I'm realizing that tomorrow's going to be just as busy a news day.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Brett has left the keyboard.
Free Counters
Online Degree